Saturday 23 October 2010

Bongate

 

Our genealogy lists the birthplace of Christopher Gelder’s mother, Hannah Horn, as “of St Michael Bongate, Westmorland, England”.  This is St. Michael’s Church, in Bongate, very likely the place Great-Great-Grandma was christened.

20101010_IMG_3869s 

20101010_IMG_3870s 

20101010_IMG_3873s 

20101010_IMG_3875s 

“To the Memory of John Atkinson who died
May 10th 1817 Aged 80 (?)
also of John Atkinson his Grandson
the son of Hartley Atkinson
of Newcastle who died
Sept 30th 1816 Aged 19
Also Mary the Wife of John
Atkinson who died 27th of
February 18?? Aged
Also Ann Atkinson...”

Were these Atkinsons in our family tree? Probably not directly. Our Atkinsons lived in Orton. Atkinson is a very common name in this area, as I learned. I’m partial to this grave, though, because John Atkinson died on my birthday!

 

20101010_IMG_3884s 

20101010_IMG_3888s

Memories Of Home

By Christopher Gelder

Often as I journey here,
Voices whisper in my ear,
Memories of Mother dear,
Memories of Home.
Though she left me long ago,
And I daily older grow,
In my heart those Memories glow;
Memories of Home.

She was always kind and good;
Gave my mind and body food;
Loved when none but Mother could;
Stood by me; alone,
She would rescue when I fell,
Kissed the bruise to make it well.
Naught on earth can ever quell
Memories of Home.

Softly comes a sweet refrain
Floating on the air again,
Through the open window-pane
Flows the mellow tone;
Then I softly turn away,
"Bless My Boys" I hear her pray.
Who would wish to drive away,
Memories of Home?

Echoes of my Mother's voice,
Urging me to make my choice,
Always make my heart rejoice,
Everywhere I roam.
Teaching me to Watch and Pray,
Pointing out the Narrow Way;
Still they linger day by day,
Memories of Home.

Over in the "Better Land"
Waiting on the "Golden Strand,"
I can see her beckoning hand
Asking me to come.
Wooing me from Earth away,
Calling me to come to stay
To recount through the "Endless Day"
Memories of Home.

 

20101010_IMG_3891s

 

Bongate is just around the corner from Appleby Castle. Bongate was the home of serfs (bondsmen) who served in the castle. The whole ward is not much more than this simple street.

 

20101010_IMG_3896s 

20101010_IMG_3898s

No comments:

Post a Comment